Monday, October 4, 2010

The Reunion

Although it is hard to believe I just returned from my high school graduation reunion.  Oh that is not hard to believe.  What is hard to believe is that it was my sixtieth.  Most people don't even live that long. There were seventy-four in our class, out of which twenty-seven have died. Two died last week. This could very well be my last blog.

So what did I learn? Well I got to visit with a lot of old friends I have not seen since our last reunion five years ago. Most of us who are still living are trying to keep living until we have something to brag about at those affairs. Not an easy thing to do. So some sort of made things up to talk about. I was one of those of course. We together remembered things that happened when we were in high school, most of which never happened at all. I recalled for them the time I hit the home run in the final game of the regional tournament. No others could remember that. I can't imagine why. I think the best part of the day was when one of the women got up and told the story about the time she farted in church. Then she swore us all to secrecy about it. So I won't tell who it was. It was funny, though.

I really did learn something, though. I learned that old friends are precious. I think maybe all friends are precious. And I learned that all memories are not good.  But there are enough good ones to offset the bad. I hugged all of the ones I talked to and not a single one complained. Madisonville, Kentucky is the Best Town on Earth and I am glad I went to high school there. Why don't you call some of your high school classmates right now and tell them that you love them. You will both feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment