Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The helper

At the liars club this morning I sat across from J.T. Joe sat next to him.  Joe and his son were telling about a project they were building.  I didn't understand exactly what they were doing but I got enough to know that it was a difficult job. I sat there feeling sorry for them. But J.T. asked if they would let him help. What a difference! As J.T. listened he kept coming up with specific ways to help them. He was serious. He obviously really wanted to give them a hand. I know J.T. He is able to help. And what was he asking in return? NOTHING! As I sat there I kept wondering why I don't think like that. I never offered to help at all. I could have but I didn't.

I recalled a time when I was visiting a friend who was dying. There were others there as well. We all felt bad about our friend. But Shirley was home cooking chili for their family. Actions really do speak louder than words. The family has long forgotten the ones of us who were just there to pay our last respects but they will never forget the Christian love Shirley showed.

Each day my prayer is for God to place someone in my path that I can have a kind word for. Or a hug. Or better yet a real act of kindness. I am sure that He answers that but I am often too oblivious to recognize it. It does make me happy however to know that there are J.T.s and Shirleys in the world. Spread some love today, O.K.?

No comments:

Post a Comment