Saturday, October 23, 2010

They are building!

It is almost finished.  The new sanctuary for the Munfordville Methodist Church is probably going to be ready by Christmas.  I have enjoyed watching it go up in almost every detail.

Most of my life has been in building.  Only thing is all of the building I have ever done was done either on the drawing board or on the computer.  I never really worked with bricks or mortar.  But I have always enjoyed visiting the jobs that were originated by my pencil.  Most builders feel as if those of us who worked in architecture are simply creating monuments to our own bad taste.  And perhaps they are right.  But I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if there were no dreamers. 

The number one law of architecture is: One man's eye for beauty is another's eye sore. We all do not agree about exactly what is beautiful or what is good.  So we create committees so that we can argue about it.  The second law of architecture then is: A zebra is a horse designed by a committee.  But in the end we find that if we join the dreams of the architect with the practical thinking of the builder we end up with a compromise that is usually what we wanted in the first place.

While I was watching the sanctuary go up I was aware that there had probably been many discussions about how it should be done.  And many disagreements.  But now, because I am retired, I am able to simply enjoy what I see and look forward to that time when all those involved in the planning will sit back and say to themselves, "Look what I did! Isn't it good?"

As I was watching the brick masons do their thing I was so impressed with their work that I felt thankful.  I stood there in the yard and prayed.  I thanked God for building this fine building.  But I remembered that it is not 'our church' but it is 'His church'  It is not a social club to serve the ones who have always been coming here but a worship center where the members can reach out to others in our community and show them the love that Jesus taught.  We can invite them in, welcome them, tell them that we do not own any seat and they can sit where they like.  They can park their car where they want.  They are to be welcomed and loved.  It is for God's people, not our people.  There is already a lot of love in that place and now it will be easier to share it.  God has given us much.  Let's give back!







No comments:

Post a Comment