Friday, December 31, 2010

That other Christmas memory

Both of my friends have asked what my other Christmas memory that I never did write about was.  So I thought I would share it if my DSL will last long enough for me to get it typed.

I can't remember exactly what year it was but it was about maybe ten years ago or so.  Our youngest son Lee was living on his own and was experiencing some hard times financially.  It was Christmas time and he was planning to come home but he told us he was not happy about it all because he could not afford to buy gifts for anyone.  We assured him that no one would be offended and that he should know that everyone here would love him just the same. He did come but sort of looked as if he were depressed.  He talked very little even though that was not his usual nature.  Normally he was the life of the party.  He received several gifts and just held them without opening them.  Then, in the midst of everybody talking at once, he asked if all would give him a moment to say something.  We all stopped our present opening and talking and gave him our full attention.  He stood up and opened a large piece of paper and began to explain.  He told us that this was a time in his life when money was not a part of his life.  So as his gift to us all he had written a poem.  As he read the poem it became obvious that he had labored a long hard time to give us his best.  The poem was a cute goof that included each one of us here, as well as some who would be here later on.  We were all aware that the poem was not a trivial thing, but rather a true work of art.  When he finished reading there was not a dry eye among us.

Today there is never a Christmas time when I do not remember that day and it brings back a feeling for Lee that I really think everyone in our family also feels. We all knew and still know his true feelings for each of us.  As I think back I wonder if anyone who was there that day can remember any gift they received.  But I am ready to bet that all will remember that poem and the devotion Lee placed in it.  It was a precious gift to me and I am certain that it was for the others as well.

Love finds a way in many ways.  Some love finds a way into our hearts that stays there.

Thank you, Lee for that memory!   I truly love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment