Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Its Thanksgiving, is it?

They tell me that tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  So I got to thinking:  What do I have to be thankful for?  I am blind in one eye and have about 40% blockage in the other.  I can only hear about a third of what people are saying.  I try to remember things but that becomes a problem more than I would like to admit.  I was even trying to introduce Linda to someone recently and I couldn't remember her name.  Then there are some things I can't do anymore that I would rather not mention here.

I am still thankful, however.  I still have my drivers license.

But tomorrow morning I will get up and have a whole different attitude.  As people arrive for the feast we are going to have, it will dawn on me that God has filled this house with love.  Yes, the food will be scrumptious, the smells will fill the air making all of us slobber, the laughter will make us all feel better, but these are not the important things.  The best are the things that we really do feel thankful for.  You see those smells are from the wonderful things that my wonderful wife has prepared because she loves us.  The laughter will come from the family and friends who have gathered together here to enjoy each other and be thankful together. I know what God has done for me and the ones I love.  He has given Linda and me three fine boys to raise and who have become men who anyone would be proud of.  He has given us daughter-in-laws to also be proud of.  He has given us three granddaughters and one grandson, two great grandsons and one great granddaughter, all of whom we are forever grateful. 

So who needs good eyesight?  I see well enough to see the love.  Who needs to hear everything?  I hear well enough to hear the love.  And anyway, if I don't hear everything I can miss all the trashy gossip.  That is if there is any, of course.

We are not perfect people.  We are just a family who loves each other and who has friends to share it all with.   We will all gather around the table and hold hands while each one remembers all the things that we are honestly thankful for.  And the list goes on and on, too much to record here.

I sincerely hope each of you are happy tomorrow because I am certain that you, too, have much to be thankful for.  And I also hope and pray that that sort of feeling will stay with you forever.

One last thought.  Thank you for reading this stuff I write.  You are truly a friend and I do love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment