Thursday, January 6, 2011

Some people do good things!

I don't really care much for golf.  And that seems to be a problem with my basic personality, I guess.  All of my friends seem to love it almost to a fault.  Putting a ball in a hole has never been much of a challenge to me but I must be the one who is wrong.  Too many people I know get very excited about it.  So it must be fun and I just never learned how to find it. 

Having said all this I thought maybe I ought to ask your forgiveness for the guilt I feel.  And I also want to take this opportunity to share a feeling of mine that somewhat concerns golf:

I don't know Morgan Pressel.  I am pretty sure she doesn't know me, either.  I do suspect, however, that you golfers out there do know her and know her well.  She must be a really good golfer because that is what the sports pages in our newspaper report fairly regularly.  I do know that she is young and cute, so as an old man it is all right for me to be proud of her.  And I am.  However it is not because of her golfing skills or her cuteness.  It is because of the article I read about her in today's paper.  It seems that she has taken a large portion of the money she makes from putting that little ball in that little hole and has bought a vehicle that can test women for breast cancer.  And she is only seventeen years old.  Being one of those crazy old men who has lost all faith in young famous people, I was elated to see that there are still ones coming up in the world who want to do something good for others.  I was under the false impression that all those famous people nowadays were on drugs or in jail, laughing at authority and feeling as though they were above all the rules the rest of us have to follow. You know, somewhat like politicians  Some may be that way but I guess that kind of news does sell papers so we don't hear much about the good ones.  Most of us do not like to read about the good ones.  Not much spicy stuff there, is it? 

Well I am proud of Morgan Pressel.  And I am proud of the other young famous people who have that same kind of mindset.  I don't have to name them.  You know who they are.  Let's be thankful for the good ones, O.K.!  Maybe one of them will grow up and run for president some day.  Go, Morgan.  I am rooting for you!  Put that ball in the hole.  I will cheer and it will be heartfelt and authentic.  Well done, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment