Friday, November 30, 2012


            One of the biggest thrills to me when I was in the Navy was each day when the American flag was lifted into the air.  I would feel free and happy knowing that I was always able to think the way I wanted in the land where I was given to live.
            So when I got married years later and Linda and I moved to Florida we both decided that we wanted a flag in our front yard.  For the past forty years or so each day I have been able to go into our front yard and raise the flag.  We have a ring of flowers around the pole and it is visible from four streets that have a lot of traffic.  
            All of that just so I can share this story:
            Many times during the raising people driving by will wave or honk their horn or shout a thank you.  Sort of makes it worthwhile, doesn't it?  Once a truck driver stopped his truck (blocking traffic), got out, and stood at attention with his hand over his heart while the flag went up.  Nobody honked at him.  I thought that maybe there would never be a better flag tribute than that. 
            But there was.
            Last week I went out as I always do to raise the flag.  Across the street there were a dozen or so children about middle school age waiting for the school bus.  Some had parents with them. When the flag started up I glanced over to see all of the children standing in a row at attention, each one with a hand over the heart.  The parents were standing behind them the same way.  Then when the flag reached the top of the pole one girl stepped out and began to say in a loud voice:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
United States of America,
And to the republic for which it stands
One nation UNDER GOD indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
            
             Then all of the ones waiting for the bus began to applause. I stepped back, threw them a kiss, and applauded them back. I wiped away my tears and went back into my house, proud that I am an American and proud of the families who are still teaching their children not to forget God.

See you again soon!
           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment