Monday, January 28, 2013

Max's Paper Route



Max’s Paper Route
            Linda and I agreed that we would try to teach our sons to have a good work ethic.  So when we thought they were old enough we insisted that they start their work life by getting a paper route.  Max was our first to enter that start of becoming a man.  He wasn’t nearly as interested in that as we were but he was basically a good boy who would do what we asked him to do so he applied for a job delivering papers and got it. 
            Although getting up at four-thirty in the morning was not one of Max’s favorite things to do, after a short time he actually became used to it. He even got to the point that he bragged about how he was the very best carrier the paper company had and he was certain that he was loved by all of his customers.  He proudly told us that he had been delivering papers for a long time and had never had a complaint.
            Until that day.
            I had just come home from work and was ready for one of Linda’s fine meals when the phone rang.  It was one of Max’s customers and he was livid.  He went on and on to me about how he depended on the morning paper to keep his business going.  And he had not received one that morning.  He explained how he had searched all over his yard and was certain that there was none there.  I listened for some time until I finally got to get a word in.  I told him that I was really sorry about the whole thing and that I would personally bring him a paper.  I assured him that Max would apologize as well. At that time of day I recognized the fact that I had two problems.  Or maybe three or four.  One was that one could not get a paper at that time of day.  Another was that Max was at school for a sport event and was not here to take it to him.  So I decided to get our copy, put it all back together, wrap it in a plastic container, and take it myself. I did that but it didn’t go far in making my day. 
            When Max got home I at once approached him with the big mistake he had made.  But Max was not taking it well.  He told me right away that the man was just not very smart.  He remembered that when he threw the paper it had gone on top of his carport. He almost yelled, “All he had to do was look up.”
            That stopped me completely.  Yes, that was all he had to do but of course he would also have needed a ladder.  I wanted to fuss at him but I could not keep from laughing.  And really that is all he would have to have done. (Now a family joke) Think about it.  How could you forget a story like that? And to top it all off later in life Max became a preacher. So still to this day he is telling everybody who will listen that all they have to do is look up.
            This is a good place to quit writing, isn’t it?  If you are missing something in your life –Look up!

No comments:

Post a Comment