Friday, December 2, 2011

The Sad Notes

You may never have heard of the Sadnotes.  That is because we are really the Gladnotes.  Never heard of them, either?  Well, it is a fine singing group made up of elderly singers who enjoy singing to even more elderly people.  We go to nursing homes or retirement centers or other such places where most of the people there are ones who are alone in the world.  Nobody much touches them.  Or gives them a hug or kiss.  Or tells them they are loved.  Most are homeless and ill.  Some just sit and stare at nothing in particular, seemingly just waiting to die. 

So once a week we gather and put on our show.  It is all worth it when we see one trying to sing along or smile a bit.  When we are through singing we usually try to go to every one and hold their hands or give them a hug.  We try to laugh with them if they will let us.  Then we leave giving thanks for the wonderful life we are still able to enjoy while wishing there were more we could do to give them even a little bit of joy.

It is difficult to tell just how much I enjoy singing with this group.  There are not many soloists in the group but we all make a joyful noise.  So now let me share with you one very special time with the Sadnotes:

We had just finished our routine and were about to greet all we could.  I had watched an elderly woman while we sang.  She sat still with her head sort of bowed.  Her lips were moving and I thought I could see her singing along with us.  I watched as she tapped her fingers on her armchair as if she were playing a piano along with us.  At the end of each song she would slightly look up and I thought I could see tears running down her cheeks.  When we were done singing I went to her and reached for her hand.  She looked at me with the smile of an angel.  I asked her if she would mind standing up.  She wanted to know why so I told her I wanted a hug.  She stood no, hopped up and threw her arms around me sort of like a mother hugs a loving son.  And we stayed like that for a long time.  After several minutes we parted and I stepped back just in time to see a beautiful set of eyes glowing while tears were running down her cheeks. 

“Young man,” she said. (I am almost eighty years old.)  “I cannot remember the last time anyone hugged me.  As a matter of fact nobody ever even touches me anymore.  And you hugged me as if you really wanted to.  You showed me love and heaven knows people my age need that.  Thank you for caring.”

I kissed her on the cheek and told her I loved her.  I told her that we were both God’s children so we were sort of brother and sister.

I hope as you read this you do not think I am trying to toot my own horn trying to make you think I am some kind of special person.  I am not. 

But the people we sing to are!

It has been a while since I told you that I love you but I still do.  Come back soon.  We will be joyful together.

No comments:

Post a Comment